Whey Protein: Health Benefits, Side Effects and Dangers
The article explains the various health benefits of whey protein and its possible side effects and dangers. It aims at explaining you that how the way and frequency of consuming whey protein can make a difference.
Whey protein has taken the fitness world by storm. Every active gym goer can be found using whey protein supplements. Whey protein is believed to be helpful in boosting the muscle recovery speed and enhancing muscle gain and strength. It also assists in developing lean mass.
Bodybuilders looking maximizing their muscle gain and build lean muscle mass opt for whey protein.
What is whey?
The watery portion of the milk which is separated from the curd at the time of making cheese, is known as whey. Whey protein is derived from the dairy sources and is said to be the best protein. It is believed to be digested easily as compared to other proteins.
What is whey protein made up of?
While it is a well-known fact that whey protein is obtained from dairy sources, what you must also know is that it is a combination of bovine serum albumin, beta-lactoglobulin, alpha lactalbumin and immunoglobins.
Why are bodybuilders so inclined towards whey protein?
Whey protein has been researched upon a lot and there are various health benefits of whey protein that makes it popular among the community of bodybuilders especially. Those who train hard and are looking forward to build impressive muscles consume whey protein.
Mentioned below are 5 health benefits of whey protein:
- Your partner in weight loss: Whey protein is said to have positive effects on weight loss. Protein is said to be a fulfilling nutrient and keeps you full. So your hunger and cravings are reduced which results in reduced calorie intake. Protein supplied to your body is when enough, your body uses fats to produce energy for your workout and you in turn lose weight. Various studies have also shown that people who consume whey protein are more likely to build up lean muscle mass than those who don?t consume it.
- Helps in maintaining cholesterol levels: As per a study published in the British Journal of Nutrition, 70 obese men and women were given whey supplements for around 12 weeks and they were monitored on various parameters like lipid and insulin levels. A notable reduction in total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol was observed by the end of 12th week in the whey consuming group as compared to the casein consuming group.
- Preventing weight loss in HIV positive people: HIV patients often face the problem of weight loss. According to a study published in Clinical and Investigative Medicine, whey protein is beneficial for HIV positive people as it helps control excessive weight loss in them.
- Helpful in cardiovascular diseases and hypertension: As per a research published in the International Dairy Journal, beverages loaded with whey supplements were found to lower down the blood pressure in hypertension patients and also their risk of developing heart diseases or heart stroke.
- Enhances muscle function and speeds up muscle recovery: Whey protein is popular among the body builders for this very reason. It helps in improving the muscle function, building lean muscle mass and reduces the muscle recovery time. It helps in maximizing your muscle size and strength and helps with muscle gain.
Undoubtedly, whey protein has a variety of benefits to offer but it comes with certain drawbacks. Though whey protein is an easily digestible protein but still some people can suffer from possible side effects of whey protein.
Side effects of Whey Protein
- Likely to stir stomach troubles
Whey protein digests easily as compared to other proteins, still some people might experience digestive disorders or discomfort in their stomach. They might feel nauseated and experience gas, bloating, cramps, headache, fatigue and low appetite.
- Skin problems
While this might not necessarily happen to everyone who consumes whey protein but consuming it in high doses can result in skin troubles like acne.
- Weight gain
Yes you read that right! While whey protein along with intense workout and strength and resistance training might help in weight loss and building up of lean muscle mass, consuming whey protein alone without any physical activity can make you gain weight in forms of fat.
- Problems for people allergic to milk
People who have an allergy to milk and especially whey, would face issues consuming whey protein. They need to consult their dietitian or physician prior to consuming it or else complications can occur.
- Nutritional deficiencies and constipation
Whole foods give you complete nutrition and thus cannot be overlooked. One should not solely depend on whey protein supplements for their daily nutrition intake. Not eating healthy diet and fibre-rich food while consuming whey protein can create nutritional deficiencies.
Though constipation is not common with whey protein takers, some might face it. This usually happens with people who miss out on fruits and vegetables while taking whey protein. Eating fibre-rich food will help in having a smooth bowel movement.
Possible dangers of whey protein
- Risk of heart diseases
Over consumption of whey protein is not good for your heart. It should be consumed within the prescribed limit. Professionals state that consuming excess whey protein can increase the risk of getting a cardiac arrest, an imbalanced heartbeat rhythm or in worst situations it can even lead to a total loss of heart functions.
- Might be harmful for people with kidney disease
Though it is a myth that having a high-protein diet can cause damage to kidneys, but certain studies have found evidence that consuming high-protein diet or excessive protein supplements can be harmful for people with prevailing kidney disease. It might damage their kidneys.
- Some whey protein powder supplements available in market have heavy toxic metals added in them
If you buy high quality protein powders from trusted brands, you are less likely to be exposed to this danger. There are various whey protein supplements in the market which contain toxic metals and other elements which are hazardous to your health. The poor regulation and control of the supplement industry is responsible for this. So if you are not cautious while buying yourself a protein, you might land yourself into trouble.
There ain?t no problem with no solution. It just takes the right efforts in the right direction to solve any issue.
MuscleBlaze just hit the spot with Biozyme Whey Isolate, a nutritious supplement crafted to fulfill the daily protein requirement of Indians.
With Biozyme Whey Isolate you can rest assured with the quality as the protein is derived from the best sources. It has been especially customized for Indian bodies keeping in mind the Indian dietary habits.
With MuscleBlaze Biozyme Whey Isolate you can expect to get:
- 50% higher protein absorption
- 60% higher BCAA absorption
- 60% lower stomach discomfort
It is clinically tested on Indian bodies and has Enhanced Absorption Formula (patent-pending) which lets your body absorb higher protein and nutrients than other whey proteins.
With recommended use of Biozyme Whey Isolate, you can expect to maximize your muscle gain, build lean muscle mass, enable faster muscle recovery and increase muscle strength and size.
Everything has its merits and demerits. It depends how you put that thing to use. Whey protein is proven to show positive results on your body by helping in maximizing muscle gain and building lean muscle mass, it can only happen when you combine healthy and fibre-rich diet, proper training and exercises along with consuming whey protein on daily basis.
Thanks for subscribing
Get ready for just released articles and money saving deals.
Top 7 Whey Protein Myths
Do you have questions about the safety of whey protein? Clear your doubts now about top 6 whey protein myths.
Top Benefits of Whey Protein
There is more to whey than building muscles. Find more about top benefits of whey protein.